What is Mesos?
A distributed systems kernel
Mesos is built using the same principles as the Linux kernel, only at a different level of abstraction. The Mesos kernel runs on every machine and provides applications (e.g., Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Elastic Search) with API’s for resource management and scheduling across entire datacenter and cloud environments.
- Scalability to 10,000s of nodes
- Fault-tolerant replicated master and slaves using ZooKeeper
- Support for Docker containers
- Native isolation between tasks with Linux Containers
- Multi-resource scheduling (memory, CPU, disk, and ports)
- Java, Python and C++ APIs for developing new parallel applications
- Web UI for viewing cluster state